Staying Safe on the Trail

On trail solo; look closely to see my safety whistle hanging from my wrist and my Garmin on my backpack strap   

 

I've said it before and I'll say it again; there are many rangers out there who would probably tell you that no one should hike alone. It absolutely comes with a unique set of risks. That being said, I have been lucky enough to do it for years with zero negative experiences. I also do my best to be as prepared as possible on the trail. So here are three of my top safety tips for hikers out there, solo or otherwise.

1. Safety Spray 

 Whether it's mace or bear spray, find out what is permitted to carry in your area and keep it with you at all times. And I don't mean tucked away deep in your pack. Keep it strapped or clipped on you where it is quickly accessible. Should the situation arise where you need it, speed will likely be very important. I have, at times, kept mine clipped onto a rubber bracelet so that it dangled from my wrist. I would also wear a safety whistle in the same fashion. 

Do your research. Find out what predators live in the area you will be hiking and the best way to handle it, should you cross paths. Should you make noise? Should you try to make yourself look big? Read up but don't let it make you paranoid. Most wildlife doesn't want to meet you and statistically you're much more likely to be injured driving to the hiking trail than by wildlife. But knowledge is power so be smart. 

2. A Satellite Communication Device 

I learned about the existence of Garmins through social media. And once I saw them, I knew I had to have one. Your Garmin (I have the mini) can mean the difference being in communication with the outside world and being totally cut off from it. It can find service in places where your cell phone can't. Mine tracked me even when I was in the Himalayas. They are a bit of an investment but absolutely worth it. Once you've obtained your Garmin, you will need to subscribe to a service plan but these are affordable. You can use the device to send messages to friends and family. It can track you to help you find your way should you get lost. Friends and family with your unique link can also follow your progress online as you hike. The device can tell you about the weather and, perhaps the most important feature, it has an S.O.S. button. This puts you in contact with someone from Garmin who can locate the closest rescue service to send your way, should you need it. If you want to see more about what happens when you push the S.O.S. button on a Garmin, check out this video

3. Online Resources 

Safety starts long before you hit the trail. Obviously, you should always let someone know where you are and when you plan to return. You should carry your spray, whistle, Garmin and the 10 essentials. But before you leave for your next trek, while you're at home on your phone or computer, here are two resources to check out:

 Travelsafe-abroad.com This is a very useful website to get a feel for your destination when trekking internationally. There are many countries/cities listed here and the site will give you details about scams to watch out for, risk of natural disaster and details in particular for solo women who are visiting these areas. 

NicoleSnell.com I found Nicole's account on TikTok and her content really resonated with me. She has many videos about self defense, particularly for women and she addresses solo hiking, as she is a hiker, herself! She has wonderful tips that will help boost your confidence before getting on the trail. 

Always listen to your gut, especially when you're out in nature. Your intuition will not steer you wrong. I, personally, find that after years of solo hiking, I am entering a phase where I'm looking more at hiking with a partner. So, remember, if solo isn't for you, there's nothing wrong with that. But no matter which way you end up on the trail, just do so as safely as possible so you can enjoy the experience. Because that is why we hike in the first place, to experience joy.

Comments

Popular Posts