Amazing Things I've Seen While Trekking

Not everyone understands when your idea of fun is walking uphill outdoor for miles. But for anyone who loves hiking in the mountains, you know that that's essentially what we do. Of course, the views and the incredible energy of nature make it all worth it. But sometimes the view isn't a waterfall or a summit. It can be a tiny creature who lives in that ecosystem you are trekking through. It could be glimpses of the culture of another place you are visiting for your hike. On that note, I wanted to share some of the things I've seen on my journeys, both local and abroad. These are things that caught my attention and I never would have encountered them if I had stayed at home in my comfort zone.
On the second day of the Inca Trail as we hiked to Dead Woman's Pass, these little fuzzy wuzzies were all over the place! I worked really hard not to step on any. And, of course, I had to get down and photograph a few of them.
This is the Raintree and it is right here in Nevada's own Spring Mountains. The Raintree is estimated to be about 3,000 years old. I wonder if the people visiting the Welcome to Las Vegas sign realize that they could hop in a car and be in this tree's presence in a couple of hours!
In between slipping and sliding on rain covered rocks, I took in the beauty of the cloud forest and these little plants collecting the rain.
This one still blows my mind if I stop to think about it. I've been to a Buddhist monastery in the Himalayas. There was a monk inside doing his thing. There was very unique and interesting art that I wanted so badly to photograph but it was not permitted. Like...who gets to see that? It makes me feel lucky, like Bruce Wayne at the beginning of Batman Begins. Ok, that was Tibet, but I'm just saying!
The reality of being at elevation mentioned very casually on this helpful sign posted inside my room in Lobuje.

I had no idea when I traveled to Nepal that I would be there during their New Year celebration (in April). I also did not know they had their own timeline and were celebrating the year 2080. It just kind of worked out and that New Years Eve we spent dancing in a teahouse in Lukla to celebrate reaching Everest Base Camp.

This is why it is worth it to me (among other reasons) to leave the comforts of my home, to walk for hours uphill, to go without showering and maybe have limited access to electricity. Because I get to see the most amazing things.

Find videos of more things I see while trekking on my YouTube: www.youtube.com/@PonyPoison

Comments

Popular Posts