Back to the Mountains!

 

The Raintree and me 


Friends, it’s an epic day! It’s been a full year since I visited my local mountains here in Las Vegas, the Spring Mountains (AKA Mt. Charleston), and I am so happy to be back. Last year, tropical storm Hilary made its way far enough inland to actually destroy several trails and damage roads in my beloved mountains. For a while, they were completely closed to visitors. Even now, not every trail has recovered. But the North Loop trial was always one of my favorites and it is open so I decided to go for a walk to visit the Raintree.

The Raintree is a Bristlecone pine tree that’s approximately 3,000 years old. That makes it older than the Great Wall of China and gives it the distinction of being the oldest tree in Nevada. Bristlecones have a dramatic gnarled look to them and only grow at particular elevations, meaning you won’t see them on the lower trails. 

I cannot explain my love of old things (I have spent many an hour browsing antique shops to satisfy it) but my love of trees is perfectly logical, in my opinion. They are beautiful and powerful symbols of life. They literally take the carbon dioxide we breathe out and turn it into the oxygen we need. Trees offer shade and food to the inhabitants around them and make use of the land underneath them. They truly represent the cycle of nature’s give and take in an eloquent way. Personally, I find that trees give off powerful energy and so I find myself stopping to lay a hand on a trunk or branch at times when I’m outdoors, the way a child would stop to pet a pony. In my mind, they are these large wise creatures and I am always a little happier when I am in their company.

The healing power of nature never fails to excite me. I am still radiating today from being reunited with my favorite tree. I wrote to share my happiness and, as always, to encourage anyone who sees this to get outside and enjoy nature. Do it for your health and for your soul.

Happy dance under the Raintree 

 






Comments

Popular Posts