From Vegas to the Grand Canyon West

grand canyon hiking adventure travel


Sometimes you don’t have to go far from home to see amazing things. Despite living in Las Vegas for almost 20 years, I had never seen the Grand Canyon. It was easy forget, as I scrolled thru Instagram looking for my next dream hike some place far away, that one of the natural wonders of the world was a mere car ride away.

So, when I had a few days away from work (which never happens), I seized the opportunity to play tourist and finally visit the breathtaking landmark for myself. I wanted to do so in the most stress free way possible so I booked a bus tour! While the idea of being crammed in a vehicle with 50 other people for a few hours wasn’t highly attractive, it sounded like less work than making the road trip myself. 

In a matter of minutes, I was booked and ready to go. The trip would involve getting up early but I could always sleep on the bus. And it included lunch so I packed just a couple of snacks. We would be back in Vegas by early evening.

If you’re considering making the trip, here are 3 great things about the Grand Canyon West:

1. Proximity to Vegas. If you’re coming from Sin City, the West Rim is not too far away. If you’re driving yourself, you can probably manage it in a couple of hours. If you’re on a dinosaur bus like I was, it will take slightly longer. The bus I was on stopped often for the stretching of legs and other comforts. Once at the Canyon, we had 3 hours to explore two viewpoints. I didn’t feel rushed and got amazing pictures and views. 

2. Cost. Getting to check one of the natural wonders of the world off your list for about $100 is a steal if you ask me! My ticket cost slightly more because I added admission to the Skywalk, a glass bottom bridge that extends over the canyon for a one of a kind viewing experience. All tickets included a simple lunch and we had access to bottled water the entire time. Considering all I had to do was show up and be back at the bus on time for departure, I consider the money well spent.

3. Views! Few things motivate me more than incredible views of nature. I know some people travel for food or for history, but I am always in search of the next great view. The west rim does not disappoint! The sun reflects many colors off the canyon and reminds you how small we humans are. And you will be in the good company of lizards and ground squirrels who make the area their home. But perhaps you will have to see it for yourself.

nature lovers grand canyon west rim


Comments

Popular Posts